MAY’ the Force be with You!
May hails from Gumma, Japan, and is the hot new face on the Tokyo fashion scene participating in such shows as ‘Vogue’s Night out’, and Ishida, Japan. When she is not modeling, May enjoys acting in music videos for Japanese Indie bands. Watch out! The force is strong with her. We caught up with her for some quick thoughts on fashion, style and other things pop.
- How did you decide to become a model?
I was tall when I was a kid, and I did not like it. It gave me a feeling of being inferior. I did not want to be tall. However, when I saw fashion shows on the Internet when I was a high school student, I was amused. It led me to be in a fashion show in my high school festival. I really liked the way people reacted when I was walking down the runaway. I could not forget that, and that became the reason why I decided to be a model.
- How would you describe your personal fashion style? Are you into fashion and shopping?
My fashion style is cool with a hint of pop. I like to wear clothes that show who I am. I love wearing used clothes as well. My sister is shoes designer, and she inspires me a lot.
- Do you work with a particular agency?
No. I am freelance right now, but if there is a right agency, which is interested in working with me, I am interested, too.
- What do you enjoy more – Runway shows or photo shoots? Why?
I prefer run away because I can feel audience reaction. Of course, I like photo shoots, too.
- How has your experience been working in that industry? Any designers you admire or aspire to model for?
I have been enjoying it. I am finding out what I should do to show the clothes I am wearing more attractive. I am hoping to work for Mac Jacobs and Vivienne Westwood someday.
- Who are the models that you particularly admire? Who has been influential on your work?
Definitely Sayoko Yamaguchi. My ambition is that people recognize me as the second coming of Sayako Yamaguchi.
- What about your background – how do you think that helps you in your art?
My grandfather was painter, so that I am pretty exposed to art since I was young. My sister was into fashion, so I was curious about it as well. The urge to express myself through fashion was a natural thing for me.
- What beauty tips do you swear by?
- Tattoos have become an important expression of self – What are your views on that? Are you a ‘tattoo’ person?
I don’t have a tattoo, but if it can express oneself, I think it is very nice.
- What has been the highlight of your career so far?
I was semi-nude when I was in this music video. It gave me a lot of confidence as a model.
- What is next for you? What would you like to achieve in the coming years?
I am hoping my Asian look and aesthetic would be my advantage. I want to become an international model.
- If you were not a model, what would you be?
It would be a photographer. I like taking pictures as much as getting them taken.
- What are your hobbies and interests when you are not working?
I like shopping and hanging with my friends.
- Favorite movie and movie star?
My favorite movie is (500) Days of Summer. Zooey Deschanel was very cute in the movie.
- Do you believe in astrology? Do you follow your daily horoscope? What is your star sign?
Yes, I do. I am Sagittarius. I believe some mood swings in- between seasons are caused by it.
- Do you like to travel? What is your favorite city and Why?
Yes although I do not have many opportunities. I really liked San Francisco. People and the atmosphere were very nice.
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
Eat a lot and go straight to sleep.
- What’s your favorite Halloween costume?
My favorite was a Bunny Girl. I would like to try Spiderman someday.
- What’s on your music playlist these days?
I am into Sia right now. I like her view of the world.